We really like this recipe for dark potato chip onion rings for two reasons …
One, onion rings are a long time personal favorite side dish. Two, these onion rings are baked, not deep fried …Before we explore the preparation instruction and recipe details, let’s first talk about our main ingredient – the onions.
You can, of course, use any type of onions you wish to make onion rings. We’ve always been partial to Vidalia onions, though.
Vidalia Onions: A Brief “Did You Know”
– Now available nationwide, Vidalia onions are named after the area they’re most commonly grown … Vidalia, Georgia
– People often think Vidalia onions are the only variety of “sweet” onions available. Walla Walla and Texas Spring Sweet are two others which are fairly well known …
– These onions offer a sweeter flavor profile because they’re grown in soil which contains lower amounts of sulphur. Contrast their taste with yellow onions or Spanish onions and you’ll notice the difference right away …
– Vidalia onions are Georgia’s state vegetable!
Dark Potato Chip Onion Rings: Ingredients
This recipe will yield about two dozen onion rings …
– Two large onions
– 4 cups dark potato chips, finely crushed
– Two eggs, beaten with a whisk
– One cup flour
– 1/2 tablespoon each of salt, black pepper, and red pepper
– 3-4 tablespoons of oil (vegetable or sunflower works best)
– One cup plain yogurt
Cooking Instructions: Dark Potato Chip Onion Rings
We’ll outline the specifics for you, but basically this recipe calls for slicing the onions, dunking them in a batter, coating each onion ring in dark potato chips, and baking until golden brown. As you’ll see, it’s easy!
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Slice the onions into 1/2 inch thick rings and remove the onion’s outer skin.
3. Place the crushed dark potato chips in a bowl and set aside. We recommend crushing the chips by placing them in a ziplock bag and crushing them will a rolling pin. It’s much neater and gets the job done!
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, eggs, 1/2 cup of flour (you’ll use the other 1/2 cup in a minute) and about half of the black pepper, red pepper, and salt (you’ll use the other half of those three next).
5. In another bowl, mix the remaining 1/2 cup flour with the remaining salt, black pepper, and red pepper.
6. Toss your raw onion rings in the flour / pepper mix until they’re coated.
7. Line a large flat baking sheet with parchment paper and evenly drizzle the oil atop the paper. Place in your preheated oven for six minutes.
8. Remove the baking sheet from the oven.
9. Dunk each onion ring into the yogurt / egg / flour bowl, making sure each ring is fully coated.
10. Now, coat each ring with crushed dark potato chips. We simply dunk the coated rings into the dark potato chip bowl and flip the rings over until they’re sufficiently coated.
11. Place each coated ring on your baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, flip each ring over, and bake another 8 minutes. The onion rings will be a nice golden brown color and ready to serve!
Serve the dark potato chip onion rings plain or with your favorite dipping sauce on the side, like this Sweet Vidalia Onion Dressing. Enjoy!
Do you have other fun recipes using dark potato chips? We’d love to hear them! Let us know via our Contact page …
Be sure to explore some of our other dark potato chip culinary creations by visiting some of the Related Posts below!