Here’s a new twist on an old classic – the dark potato chip casserole!This recipe serves 4-6 and is easy and inexpensive to prepare. Total preparation time is about an hour. Let’s get to it …
Dark Potato Chip Casserole Ingredients
– 12 ounce package of egg noodles
– 2 cups of chopped broccoli
– 8 ounces of fresh sliced mushrooms
– 1 can of cream soup (mushroom, chicken, celery, etc.)
– 1/2 cup of milk
– 2 cups of fresh grated cheese (cheddar works best)
– ground pepper
– Two six ounce cans of tuna (substitute 12 ounces of cubed chicken breast if you’re don’t like tuna)
– 1 cup of crushed dark potato chips
1. Cook the egg noodles per the directions on package.
2. Add the broccoli to the noodles WHILE COOKING. We add the broccoli three minutes before the egg noodles minimum cooking time.
3. In a separate small skillet, saute the mushrooms until they change color, about 5-6 minutes.
4. Drain the pasta and broccoli and return mixture into the pot.
5. To the noodles/broccoli mixture, add in mushrooms, cream soup, milk, tuna, cheese, and ground pepper to taste.
6. Stir thoroughly and use a rubber spatula to spoon the mixture into a casserole dish.
7. Sprinkle the dark potato chips atop the mixture.
8. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes in a preheated 400 degree oven. Remove from oven and serve.
Dark Potato Chip Casserole Variations
We’re great believers in using recipes as a guideline and adapting to our own personal preferences. As noted, this dark potato chip casserole can be made with tuna or chicken or even prepared without a poultry or tuna additive …
You can adapt the vegetable additions to your taste too! We often use whatever bell peppers we have on hand, sauteing them on the side before adding them to the mix. Peas, canned corn, jalapenos, and sweet onions are just a few vegetables to consider.
The “star of the show” in this recipe in our estimation is the dark potato chips because the casserole takes on a richer, less bland flavor. If you like things a little spicy, try Mrs. Fisher’s Dark Jalapeno Chips as your dark chip of choice for the recipe!
So there you have it, a new twist on an old favorite. Enjoy your dark potato chip casserole and tell us about your favorite dark potato chip recipes at our contact form …